The College of Health Professions, School of Allied Health at Coppin State University offers a Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management. The primary purpose of the Health Information Management Program at Coppin State University is to provide the academic foundation necessary to prepare students to be competent health information management professionals and meet the entry-level competencies that will enable them to apply management and problem solving skills to every aspect of a medical/health information system, regardless of the setting or environment.
HIM professionals provide reliable and valid information that drives the healthcare industry. Students graduating from this program are specialists in managing patient data, will be able to ensure health information is complete and available to legitimate users, code and classify data for reimbursement and research, analyze information necessary for decision support, protect patient privacy and provide information security, and enhance the quality and uses for data within health information computer systems.
The HIM bachelor degree program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Students successfully completing the Health Information Management Program are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
CSU HIM Program Outcomes
- 100% of respondents to an employer survey indicated they are satisfied with graduates of the Coppin State University Health Information Management Program
- 99% of respondents to a graduate survey indicated they were satisfied with the program
- 77% of respondents to a graduate survey indicated they were able to find employment within one year of program completion. The other 23% were accepted into graduate school.
As you review the admission and pre-requisite criteria you will notice that many of the requirements for the first two years of this program are similar to the pre-requisites for entry into the School of Nursing. Therefore, considering this degree is a nearly seamless transition from pre-nursing into the Health Information Management program.
In addition to accepting applications students will receive academic counseling and assistance in preparing for admission into the professional courses of the program.
This program requires pre-professional hours which include the general education hours required by Coppin State University. After reviewing this cutting edge and technologically advanced program, we invite you to contact the College of Health Professions if you have questions.
For more information contact:
Mona Calhoun, M.S., M.Ed., RHIA, FAHIMA
Chairperson and Professor
2500 West North Ave.
Health and Human Services Building Rm. 125
Baltimore MD 21216-3698
Ph: (410) 951-6200
CSU at Hagerstown
The Bachelors in HIM is also available from our Hagerstown Campus.