Office of Admissions

International Student Admissions


Countries represented


Languages spoken in the Coppin community


Globally-focused clubs and organizations 

Mon-Thu 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Miles Connor Bldg. 1st Floor
(410) 523-7351

Our Coppin State University community includes students from more than 44 countries around the world. As a Historically Black College or University (HBCU), we honor our groundbreaking legacy in meeting the needs of the African American community. At the same time, we are excited to approach the future and how we continue to grow into a more global campus—and that includes you.

When identifying international students, we look to the following criteria:

  • You are not a U.S. citizen and have been educated outside of the United States
  • You are currently in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa
  • You are currently living outside the U.S. and require an F-1 visa to study in the U.S.
  • You are currently in the U.S. on another class visa

What if I have a permanent resident or parole visa status?

Students who hold permanent resident or parole visa status must add your alien registration number on the undergraduate application where indicated. You may qualify for in-state tuition rates if you:

  • submit appropriate residency paperwork and
  • have documented established legal domicile in Maryland for one year prior to the semester date

Please note you may be asked to provide your alien registration card for verification. Also, any and all foreign academic records submitted for evaluation must be translated into English and notarized.

Brown skin woman with curly blondish brown locks holds a red pen while sitting at a table next to a large window

Important admissions deadlines

Be sure to give yourself enough time for us to receive all of your admission materials before the deadline:

May 15th for the fall semester or
December 15th for the spring semester

Resources to evaluate transcripts from non-U.S. institutions

What do I need to apply?

  • Completed undergraduate or graduate admission application
  • $50.00 non-refundable application fee (graduate applicants only)
  • Official transcripts from all institutions attended
  • Additional program requirements, if necessary
  • Additional graduate admission requirements, if necessary
  • Official test scores, as necessary
  • English proficiency documentation, if necessary

If you have a high school diploma or equivalent and at least 3 years since your last college or university enrollment, you do not need to submit SAT or ACT scores.

Are there any additional admissions requirements for international students?

Yes. In addition to submitting all required undergraduate or graduate application documentation, and applicable program requirements, you must also submit:

  • Official standardized test scores
  • English proficiency test scores

What should I know about submitting transcripts from institutions outside the U.S.?

All transcripts from schools outside the U.S. must be evaluated before you submit them as part of your admission application.

  • College transcripts must be a course-by-course evaluation
  • High school transcripts must be a document-by-document evaluation

Visit to learn more today!

SpanTran is our recommended international transcript evaluation service. They have created a custom application for Coppin State University so you select the right kind of evaluation at a discounted rate.

Visit Josef Silny and Associates at Josef Silny & Associates, Inc ( to complete the Coppin State University application for your transcript evaluation.

English Proficiency Exam Options

What should I submit if English is not my native language?

With the exception of global language classes, all CSU courses are taught in English. If you are interested in attending Coppin, you must first demonstrate your ability to read, write, listen, and speak English.

You have several options, including standardized English language tests. Be sure to schedule your exam in enough time to allow us to receive your official scores. Please note, you are responsible for making your own arrangements for these test options.

This exam measures your English reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. We use these scores to assess your preparedness to pursue study conducted in English. Your score must meet the minimum requirement: 

  • Paper-based test: 500
  • Computer-based test: 173
  • Internet-based test (iBT): 61

This exam also measures English language proficiency, but uses a nine-band scale from non-user (band score 1) to expert (band score 9). Your score must meet the minimum requirement: 

  • Band score 6

This exam measures English language proficiency based on 4 areas: literacy, comprehension, conversation, and production. It is designed to test ability to read, write, listen, and speak the English language. Minimum score requirement is: 

  • Overall score: 100