Return to Campus FAQs

Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions on returning to the Coppin State University campus for the 2022-2023 academic year.

All students living in residence halls are required to provide confirmation they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or seek medical or religious exemption, prior to moving in. We strongly encourage all students, faculty, and employees of the university to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

All students, faculty, staff, and third-party vendor employees, who will be reporting to campus, are encouraged to get fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (full initial course of the vaccine, plus a booster).

Students should submit a copy of the front and back of their vaccination card to the CSU Community Health Center.
Fax: 410-951-6158

Employees should submit a copy of the front and back of their vaccination card to the Office of Human Resources.

Yes. Students who are approved for an exemption will be allowed to reside in the residence hall.

Employees who receive an exemption are expected to report to campus to perform their job duties, unless otherwise indicated by their immediate supervisor or HR. 

Students planning to live in the residence halls should submit an application to: or call 410-951-4188.

Student Religious exemption requests should be submitted to or by calling 410-951-6305.

Residence hall students who have not submitted a vaccine confirmation and have not been approved for an exemption are prohibited from residing in the residence halls, unless otherwise directed by the health center or the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.

Continued non-compliance may result in progressive discipline, up to and including removal from the residence hall.

Yes. The CSU Community Health Center currently offers the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine series, daily. No appointment is necessary. This is open to the campus and the external community.

Testing is optional at CSU. Rapid tests will be made available to any CSU student or employee who wishes to take a rapid test. PCR testing is no longer available through the Community Health Center. 

Faculty, staff, and students should monitor themselves for symptoms of illness and are encouraged to stay home if they are presenting symptoms.

A student who is sick must stay home and report the sickness to the CSU Community Health Center, where a designated individual will provide guidance on next steps.

Employees who are sick should report the sickness to HR.
Symptoms are:

  • Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Runny nose or congestion
  • Breathing problems
  • Fatigue
  • Sore throat
  • Headache
  • New onset loss of taste or smell
  • Muscle or body aches

If any of the above symptoms are present, or if an individual tests positive for COVID-19:

  • Employees should notify the immediate supervisor or HR
  • Commuter students should notify the CSU Community Health Center (CHC) 
  • Residential students should notify the Office of Residence Life at (410) 951-6399. 
  • Athletes should notify the Director of Athletics or designee.

CSU continues to follow guidance recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) which recommends the following:

If you test positive for COVID-19, stay home for at least 5 days and isolate from others in your home.

You are likely most infectious during these first 5 days.

If you had no symptoms: You may end isolation and return to campus, after day 5.

If you had symptoms and your symptoms are improving: You may end isolation after day 5 if you are fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication).

If your symptoms are not improving: Continue to isolate until:

  • You are fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication).
  • Your symptoms are improving.

If you had symptoms and had:

  • Moderate illness (you experienced shortness of breath or had difficulty breathing) You need to isolate through day 10.
  • Severe illness (you were hospitalized) or have a weakened immune system
    • You need to isolate through day 10.
    • Consult your doctor before ending isolation.
    • Ending isolation without a viral test may not be an option for you.

If you are unsure of when you should end isolation: Students can contact the CHC at 410-951-4188, or reach out to your primary medical provider. Employees should contact HR or their primary medical provider.

Regardless of when you end isolation: Until at least day 11:

  • Avoid being around people who are more likely to get very sick from COVID-19.
  • Remember to wear a high-quality mask when indoors around others at home and in public.
  • Do not go places where you are unable to wear a mask until you are able to discontinue masking (see below).
  • For travel guidance, see CDC’s Travel webpage.

With the unpredictable nature of the COVID-19 virus, we realize there could be times when you may not be able to attend class. If a situation arises, for example, where you must be quarantined or in isolation or a family member requires your care, it is important that you alert your instructor immediately so that they can provide alternative options to support your participation in class or to address any missing assignments. It is also important for them to know that you have a valid reason for being absent. Send the faculty a message at their Coppin email address. As always, we are committed to supporting you, our students. Have a most successful semester.

Telework is not allowed, without prior approval from the Office of Human Resources. Individuals who are experiencing symptoms or who have a positive COVID-19 test result should contact the Office of Human Resources (employees) or the Community Health Center (students) for instructions on how to proceed.

Effective, March 7, 2022, members of the campus community and visitors will no longer be required to wear masks indoors, while on campus. The shift to a mask optional policy follows the end of the state of emergency, in Maryland, and the end of the City of Baltimore’s mask mandate, as of March 1. However, masks are still required when entering the health center, while inside the athletic training room, and while undergoing COVID-19 testing.

Masks are required when entering the health center, while inside the athletic training room, and while undergoing COVID-19 testing.

Students who are planning to reside on campus must submit evidence of a negative COVID-19 PCR test to the Office of Housing and Residence Life, prior to arrival. Questions related to residence hall requirements can be directed to the Housing Office at (410) 951-6300 or

The fitness/wellness center and the pool, located inside the PEC, are open. Pool use is available, by appointment.

Fully vaccinated individuals who are exposed to someone who tests positive for COVID-19, do not need to quarantine or isolate. you should monitor yourself for symptoms, and you are encouraged to test on the fifth day after exposure.

Yes. Faculty, staff, and students must meet certain criteria to receive approval for university-sponsored travel:

  • Fully vaccinated with confirmation on file with the university OR 
  • Approved exemption OR
  • Approved accommodation.
  • Those who are exempted from the vaccine mandate will be required to follow CDC guidelines regarding travel: 
    • Self-monitor for symptoms 
    • Wear a mask 
  • Non-vaccinated domestic travelers 
    • Strongly recommended that you test one to three days prior to travel, and then test three to five days, upon your return.

Yes. In-person campus events have resumed.