Bachelor of Science in Political Science
Minor in Political Science
The major in Political Science provides an understanding of the political process in the United States by emphasizing constitutional principles, the interrelationship of national, state, and local governments; while also examining other political systems from a comparative perspective. The role of the individual in relation to the exercise of political power is examined with special attention to the role of coalition building.
Thus, students become aware of how to analyze and evaluate the ways in which individuals may make government more meaningful to themselves and to the masses of people comprising the bulk of the world's societies.
The Political Science major prepares students for graduate school, law school, numerous civil service occupations, and appointed positions with local, state, and national government. It also provides practical insights on how to seek elective office as a candidate or to serve as a campaign staff person.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the methods, vocabulary, and concepts of Political Science
- Utilize information technology to access, retrieve, analyze and report social science literature and data
- Synthesize Political Science concepts and research methods and apply these to social issues and policy discussions
- Critically analyze political issues within larger historical and global contexts
- Demonstrate knowledge, professional competencies, and personal growth gained through applied research and community engagement activities
The minor in Political Science provides students with an understanding of the political process in the United States by emphasizing constitutional principles, the interrelationship of national, state, and local governments, while also examining other political systems from a comparative perspective.
The following is a sample plan of study. This is not intended as a self-advising guide or as a substitute for seeing your academic advisor about your specific plan of study. Please speak to an advisor before choosing your course load each semester.