Kavita Hegde M.D., PhD
Professor of Biology
Science and Technology Center
2nd Floor, Room 205
2nd Floor, Room 205
2500 W North Ave
Baltimore, MD 21216
Publications (partial list; please refer to the CV for full list)
- Hegde KR, Henein MG and Varma SD. Establishment of the mouse as a model animal for the study of diabetic cataracts. Ophthalmic Res (2003); 35:12-18
- Hegde KR, Henein MG and Varma SD. Establishment of mouse as an animal model for study of diabetic cataracts. Biochemical studies. Diabetes Obes Metab (2003) 5, 113-119
- Varma SD, Hegde KR, Henein M. Oxidative damage to mouse lens in culture. Protective effect of pyruvate. Biochim Biophys Acta (2003) 1621: 246-252
- Hegde KR, Varma SD. Protective effect of ascorbate against oxidative stress in the mouse lens. Biochim Biophys Acta (2004) 1670: 12-18
- Hegde KR and Varma SD. Morphogenetic and apoptotic changes in diabetic cataract. Prevention by pyruvate. Mol Cell Biochem (2004) 262: 233-237.
- Kalakonda S, Hegde KR and Varma SD. Ophthalmoscopic and morphogenetic changes in rat lens induced by galactose: attenuation by pyruvate. Diabetes Obes Metab (2004) 6: 216-222.
- Hegde KR and Varma SD. Cataracts in Experimentally Diabetic Mouse: Morphological and Apoptotic Changes. Diabetes Obes Metab (2005) 7 (2): 2004.
- Hegde KR and Varma SD. Prevention of cataract by pyruvate in experimentally diabetic mice. Mol Cell Biochem, (2005) 269: 115-120.
- Varma SD and Hegde KR. Effect of α-ketoglutarate against selenite cataract formation. Exp Eye Res. (2004) 79(6):913-8
- Hegde KR and Varma SD. Combination of Glycemic and Oxidative Stress in Lens: Implications in Augmentation of Cataract Formation in Diabetes. Free Radic Res. (2005) 39(5):513-7
- Varma SD, Hegde KR, Kovtun S. Attenuation and delay of diabetic cataracts by antioxidants: effectiveness of pyruvate after onset of cataract. Ophthalmologica. (2005) 219(5):309-15.
- Varma SD, Hegde KR, Kovtun S. Oxidative damage to lens in culture: reversibility by pyruvate and ethyl pyruvate. Ophthalmologica. (2006); 220(1):52-7.
- Varma SD and Hegde KR. Lens thiol depletion by peroxynitrite. Protective effect of pyruvate. Mol Cell Biochem (2007) 298(1-2):199-204.
- Varma SD and Hegde KR. Susceptibility of the ocular lens to nitric oxide: implications in cataractogenesis. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther (2007) 23(2):188-95.
- Hegde KR, Kovtun S and Varma SD. Induction of UV cataracts in vitro. Prevention by pyruvate. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther (2007) 23(5):492-502.
- Varma SD and Hegde KR. Oxidative stress and cataract formation. Horizons on its medical prevention. Expert Review of Ophthalmology (2007) 2:779-801
- Hegde KR and Varma SD. Prevention of oxidative stress to the retina by pyruvate. A preliminary report. Ophthalmologica (2008) 222(3):194-8
- Hegde KR and Varma SD. Electron Impact Mass Spectroscopic Studies on Mouse Retinal Fatty Acids. Effect of Diabetes. Ophthalmic Res (2009) 42(1):9-14
- Varma SD, Hegde KR and Kovtun S. UV-B Induced Damage to the Lens in Vitro. Prevention by Caffeine. Journal of Ocular Pharmacol Ther (2008) 24(5):439-44
- Chandra P, Hegde KR and Varma SD. Possibility of Topical Antioxidant Treatment of Cataracts. Corneal Penetration of Pyruvate in Humans. Ophthalmologica (2009) 223(2):136-8
- Hegde KR, Kovtun S, Varma SD. Intraocular penetration of pyruvate following its topical administration in mice. Mol Cell Biochem (2010) 338(1-2):87-90
- Varma SD, Hegde KR. Prevention of oxidative damage to lens by caffeine. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther (2010) 26(1):73-7
- Varma SD, Hegde KR. Kynurenine-induced photo oxidative damage to lens in vitro: protective effect of caffeine. Mol Cell Biochem 2010; 340(1-2):49-54
- Varma SD, Hegde KR, Kovtun S. Oxidative stress in lens in vivo: inhibitory effect of caffeine. A preliminary report. Mol Vis (2010) 16:501-5
- Hegde KR, Kovtun S and Varma SD. Inhibition of glycolysis in the retina by oxidative stress. Prevention by pyruvate. Mol Cell Biochem 2010; 343(1-2):101-5
- Varma SD, Hegde KR and Kovtun S. Inhibition of selenite-induced cataract by caffeine. Acta Ophthalmol 2010; 88(7):e245-9.
- Hegde KR, Kowluru RA, Mohr S, Nagaraj RH, Petrash JM. New horizons in research on diabetic complications of the eye: special emphasis on diabetic cataracts and retinopathy. J Ophthalmol. (2010) 2010:979040
- Varma SD, Kovtun S, Hegde K. Effectiveness of topical caffeine in cataract prevention: studies with galactose cataract. Mol Vis. (2010) 16:2626-33
- Varma SD, Kovtun S, Hegde KR. Role of ultraviolet irradiation and oxidative stress in cataract formation-medical prevention by nutritional antioxidants and metabolic agonists. Eye Contact Lens. (2011) 37(4):233-45
- Varma SD, Kovtun S, Hegde KR. UV-Induced Apoptosis in Lens. Prevention by Caffeine. Journal of Caffeine Research (2011) 1(2): 131-136
- Hegde KR, Kovtun S and Varma SD. Prevention of cataracts in diabetic mice by topical pyruvate. Clin Ophthalmol. (2011) 5:1141-5.
- Varma SD, Kovtun S, Hegde KR, Yin J, Ramnath J. Effect of high sugar levels on miRNA expression. Studies with galactosemic mice lenses. Mol Vis. (2012); 18:1609-18.
- Hegde KR, Varma SD Stimulation of Glycolysis in the Lens by Pyruvate. Implications in Protection against Oxidative Stress. J Metabolic Synd (2015) 4:179.
- Hegde KR and Deacon K. Prevention of oxidative stress-induced metabolic aberrations in the neural retina by Caffeine. Biochem Mol Biol (2019) 4(4):53-58
- Rajapandi T, Ackie K and Hegde KR. Antiplasmodial activity of a non-protein amino acid taurine. Biomedical Sciences (2019) 5(3): 34-37
- Szmacinski H, Hegde K, Zeng H-H, Eslami K, Puche A, Lengyel I, and Thompson RB. Imaging hydroxyapatite in sub-retinal pigment epithelial deposits by fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy with tetracycline staining. J Biomed Opt (2020) 25(4), 047001