Hany Sobhi PhD
2nd Floor, Room 229
2500 W North Ave
Baltimore, MD 21216
Dr. Sobhi obtained his Ph.D. in Clinical Bioanalytical Chemistry, with a specialization in synthetic bioorganic chemistry from Cleveland State University in 2008. Following his M.S. in Synthetic Organic Chemistry in 2005. In 2008 he was appointed as an NIH Post-Doctoral Fellow, at the Center for Mitochondrial Diseases at the Department of Pharmacology, at Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine. In 2019 Dr. Sobhi was promoted to the rank of full Professor of organic and clinical chemistry at Coppin State University. Since 2011, Dr. Sobhi has established his research lab (Center for Organic Synthesis).
Shortly after he was awarded the Minority-Serving Institution Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research Awards from the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR). In 2012 Dr. Sobhi received NASA / NAI Astrobiology Faculty Fellowship, and in 2013 he was awarded the NAP-NASA/ MIRS- Award 2013 and was appointed as visitor scientist at NASA. In 2015 Dr. Sobhi was awarded the Wilson H. Elkins Professorships, from the University System of Maryland. Furthermore, Dr. Sobhi is the recipient of the 2015/2016 University System of Maryland Board of Regents Faculty award USM/ BOR Board for excellence in research and innovation. For the past eleven years the center for organic Synthesis had received several grants from National institute of Health (NIH), Department of Defense (DOD), and USDA, to support the ongoing research efforts.
Dr. Sobhi research team is all undergraduate chemistry and biology students, and he engages his students in the research projects and, secure funds for student’s research scholarships. The primary objective of Dr. Sobhi’s research is to develop strategies to synthesis small bioorganic molecules that can be used for clinical diagnosis (biomarkers) and understand the pathogenic mechanisms underlying the clinical manifestations of diseases which could be clinically useful in treatment. Dr. Sobhi is also interested in the development bio-active organic scaffolds for more efficient drug delivery that targeted hepatic therapy and the development of intelligent carrier using nanotechnology.
Dr. Sobhi has published numerous papers in peer-reviewed journals and has presented his research at national and international conferences. Dr. Sobhi is an active member of several professional scientific research organizations. Currently his most recent publication received an honorary award by the American Physiological Society for APSselect (http://apsselect.physiology.org/ ) and has been selected as one of the best recently published articles in Physiological Research. Dr. Sobhi had extend Coppin State University outreach and research network to several local national and international research institution, and he established network of collaborators with federal agencies, such as NASA/ GSFC department of defense DOD Army Research lab.
Selected Publications and Seminars
- Synthesis and Characterization of substrates for grafting polymers used in medical plastica, Meghan R. Johnston1* Hany F. Sobhi2 Alaa El Hajjar1, manuscript ID : CDC-D-2-00085 submitted to the Journal, Chemical Data Collections, on March 4, 2020, revised on November 15, 2020, Accepted on December 08, 2020, Published on Chemical Data Collection 31 ( 2021 ) 100621, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdc.2020.100621. February 01, 2021
- Carnitine palmitoyltransferase 2 (CPT2) knockout potentiates palmitate-induced insulin resistance in C2C12 myotubes, Michael L. Blackburn1,2, Kikumi OnoMoore1, Hany F. Sobhi3, and Sean H. Adams1,2† American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism. PMID: 32459525 DOI:10.1152/ajpendo.00515.2019. 2020 Aug 1; Volume 319, Issue # (2): E265-E275. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00515.2019 doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00515.2019, Epub 2020 May 27. PMID: 32459525. August 01, 2020
- Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization & detection of cyclopropyl heptanoylcarnitine stereoisomers, Hany F. Sobhi1, Sean H. Adams2 Abstract ID: 3342483. For Presentation at the 259th ACS Spring National Meeting & Expo, Philadelphia, PA, Division of Biological Chemistry, March 22-26, 2020.
- Identification and regulation of xenometabolite derivatives cis- and trans-3,4methylene-heptanoylcarnitine in plasma and skeletal muscle of exercising humans, Hany F. Sobhi, Xinjie Zhao, Peter Plomgaard, Miriam Hoene, Jakob Hansen, Benedikt Karus, Andreas Niess, Sean Adams, Cora Weigert: APSselect Volume 7, Issue 5 https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00510.2019. April 26, 2020
- T3P-Promoted Synthesis of a Series of Novel 2-Aryl-3-phenyl-2,3,5,6-tetrahydro4H-1,3-thiazin-4-ones, Lee J. Silverberg,a* Carlos Pacheco,b Debashish Sahu,b Tapas Mal,b Peter Scholl,c Hany F. Sobhi,d Heather G. Bradley,a et al, published in the Journal of Tetrahedron letters, the Journal of Tetrahedron Letters, Volume 61, Issue 18, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2020.151836 April 30, 2020
- Identification and regulation of xenometabolite derivatives cis- and trans-3,4methylene-heptanoylcarnitine in plasma and skeletal muscle of exercising humans, Hany F. Sobhi, Xinjie Zhao, Peter Plomgaard, Miriam Hoene, Jakob Hansen, Benedikt Karus, Andreas Niess, Sean Adams, Cora Weigert et al Accepted, and published to the American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism , Paper #: E-00510-2019, in https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00510.2019, PubMed32101032, Volume 318, Issue 5 , February 26, 2020
- T3P-promoted Synthesis of a Series of Novel 3-Aryl-2-phenyl-2,3-dihydro-4H1,3-benzothiazin-4-ones, Lee J. Silverberg*1, Carlos Pacheco2ID, Debashish Sahu2, Peter Scholl3, Hany F. Sobhi4, JoshuaT. Bachert1,et al , published in the J Heterocyclic Chem. 2020;57:1797–1805. DOI: 10.1002/jhet.3904, Volume57, Issue4 Pages 1797-1805 https://doi.org/10.1002/jhet.3904 January 27, 2020
- Disinfection Byproducts in Chlorinated Drinking Water. Malia Vester 1, Hany F. Sobhi 2 and Mintesinot Jiru 1,*, ISSN 2381-5299 Published in the International Journal of Water and Wastewater Treatment, Volume 4-issue 2 / DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/2381-5299.156 November 20, 2018
- Improvements on Semi Critical Assisted-Solvent Extraction of Biocrude Oil from Spirogyra. sp Macro Algae, Tulio. Chavez-Gil1,3*, Hany F. Sobhi2, Alexis. Pacheco-Laracuente3, ID: 789- AJBB, American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, DOI: 10.3844/ajbbsp.2018, Published online April 18, 2018
- Recent Advances in Direct and Indirect Methods of Fine Particle Characterization Yvonne L. Fornishi1, Raafat Fahmy2 and Hany F. Sobhi1*, Journal of Pharmaceutical Analytics and Insights JPAI, ID: JPAI-18-048, ISSN 2471-8122, Volume 2 - Issue 1 | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/2471-8122.116. Published, April 05, 2018
- Professor Of Organic And Clinical Chemistry
- Director & Lead Investigator Center for Organic Synthesis
- CO- Director IRACDA Program
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 2010
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH 2008
- MSc. in Chemistry (Synthetic Organic Chemistry) Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH 2005
- 2018 - NIH – Award, IRACDA program Coppin State, Johns Hopkins, and Morgan State.2016 - Board Of Regents Faculty Award, USM – BOR, for research , and innovation- USM
- 2013 - NASA - NAI- MIRS Astrobiology Faculty Incentive Research Award.
- 2012 - NASA - NAI- Astrobiology Faculty Fellowship program / Faculty Scholar Research Award. June 4 , 2012.
- 2011 - American Association for Cancer Research, AACR Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research Award.
- 2011 - Distinguished Faculty research and development Award, from Coppin State University Research Council.
- 2009 - Postdoctoral Research Award, Research Showcase -2009 Case western Reserve University. April 16-2009.
- 2007 - F.C. Mark Graduate Teaching Assistantship Award For Excellence in Teaching Organic Chemistry.
- 2007 - North East Ohio Science and Engineering Fair -2007 (NEOSEF) Judging for the American Chemical Society special awards in chemistry projects. March 13, 2007.
- ASPIRE - A Joint five years IRACDA program Coppin State, Johns Hopkins, and Morgan State. ASPIRE is A postdoctoral training program (Academic Success via Postdoctoral Independence in Research and Education) August 2018 - July 2023
- U.S. Army DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center (CBC) DOD – APG (Sub award) For the development of Bacterial nanocellulose materials June 2021 - Mar 2022
- USDA (UAMS– Sub award) For the development of an analytical assay for qualitative and quantitative analyses of xenometabolites. July 2018 - June 2022
- USDA (UAMS– Sub award) For the development of strategies to synthesis and qualitative analyses of xenometabolites. July 2016 - June 2018
- Wilson H. Elkins Faculty Award, from the University system of MARYLAND (USM) July 2015 - June 2016
- NASA-MIRS Astrobiology Faculty Incentive Award. January 2013
- NASA - NAI- Astrobiology Faculty Fellowship program / Faculty Scholar Research Award. June 2012
- U.S. ARMY Research & Materiel Command USAMRAA-CSC Proposal Log :10273013 Title:" The Utilization of Human Patient Simulation as an Educational Modality for Military Health Care Providers to Facilitate the Assessment and Evaluation of Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)" awarded on June 15 ,2011. June 2011 - July 2014
- American Association for Cancer Research, AACR Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research travel Award January 2011. January 2011
- Distinguished Faculty Research Award, from the Office of Academic affair and The Faculty Research and Development Committee, at Coppin State University May 19,2011. May 2011