Applying for financial Aid | Coppin State University

Applying for financial Aid

Applying for Financial Aid

Coppin State University (CSU) requires all students applying for financial aid to first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Below are the steps you must follow to complete the FAFSA and apply for financial aid at CSU:

  • Your parent (if dependent) and you must first obtain an FSA User ID. The FSA User ID will be used to sign your FAFSA, review your loan activity on the National Student Loan Data Base System and other financial aid systems. You may create or look up your FSA User ID online at: Please write and keep a copy of this ID for your records.
  • Gather all documents you will need in order to complete the FAFSA. If you are a Dependent student we will also need each of the below for your parent(s) as well. You will need records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school. You will also need records of your parent's income information if you are a dependent student. If you are married, you will need to supply spousal information. By having the below information available, it will ensure you provide accurate information and prevent unnecessary delays:
  • Your Social Security Number (if dependent, you will also need your parent(s)
  • Your driver's license Number
  • Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Your W2 Forms (if you earned income and did not file)
  • Your (and your parents if you are dependent) Federal Tax Transcript or Tax Return for the year you are applying. It may be one of the below Federal tax forms. You may order a transcript online at
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
    • Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia or Palau

    NOTE: You are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import your Federal Tax Information onto your FAFSA. This will ensure accuracy and expedite the processing of your aid application.

  • Complete the FAFSA at WWW.FAFSA.ED.GOV. This application is free. You should never pay to have this form completed. After the FAFSA has been submitted, you can expect to receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) electronically if you included an email address on your FAFSA. If not, you will receive a copy via mail. The SAR will inform you if you are selected for a process called verification. It will also provide you with your remaining Pell and Subsidized loan eligibility.
  • Once your SAR is processed, it will be electronically provided to CSU via an Institutional Student Information Report or ISIR.
  • Should your FAFSA/ISIR be selected for verification the Financial Aid Office will electronically notify you if your parent and you must submit a Federal Tax Transcript, a Verification Worksheet, or other documents are required to complete your application for Federal student aid.
  • Please visit the Financial Aid Forms page to complete the forms you may need to satisfy the documents required to complete your financial aid
  • Once your file is complete, your aid eligibility will be determined and you will electronically notified

The office of Financial Aid has now made it available for students to apply for Summer Financial Aid to assist with your tuition payment for the Summer I academic semester only. Please utilize the link below to access the application and fill out all required sections to be considered for tuition assistance. Please feel free to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid if you have any further questions or concerns. Please allow up to 7 business days for processing.

Apply for Summer 2021 Financial Aid