F1 Regulations

Speak to
Carla Tyree
Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
J. Millard Tawes Center, 1st Floor

Each student is responsible for understanding the immigration requirements related to their status. Following the guidelines below may help you avoid many unnecessary problems.

  • Keep your passport valid for at least 6 months
    Contact your home country's embassy in the U.S. for information about renewing your passport validity.
  • Keep your local address updated.
    Keep your local residential address current.
  • Maintain full-time enrollment.
    You must be full-time each semester. For immigration purposes, you must complete a minimum of 12 units per semester.
  • Get approval before a withdrawal from Coppin.
    If for some reason you must withdraw from your program or drop below full-time, you are required to have approval from the International Office before doing so.
  • Attend the school noted on your I-20.
    You must have a current, valid I-20 from the school you are attending. If you transfer from another school to Coppin, the transfer process must be completed at the Check-in Meetings before the semester begins. If you miss the Check-in meeting, see an advisor in the International Office immediately.
  • Keep your I-20 valid at all times.
    Submit an application for Extension of Program if the completion date on your I-20 will expire within the next 30 days and you need more time to complete your program of study. You must also request a new I-20 if you change your major or your degree level.
  • Get a travel endorsement
    Before your departure from the U.S., request a signature for re-entry from an International Office Advisor. The Advisor will sign page 2 of the I-20 for this purpose. The signature is valid for one year.
  • Get proper employment permission:
    • On-campus employment -- Limit employment to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Employment on-campus may be full-time in the summer and vacation periods. No special work permit is required.
    • Off-campus employment -- Do not work off-campus without permission. Work permission for F-1 students must be approved through the International Office and the USCIS.