Maryland In-State Residency
As a Maryland state university, in-state students receive a substantial saving in terms of tuition over out-of-state students. To apply for Maryland In-State residency, you must meet the outlined requirements and complete the residency form with supporting documentation as outlined in the process below.
Applying for Maryland In-State Residency
Complete the Maryland In-State Residency Form to receive consideration for in-state status.
- All Maryland applicants must demonstrate residency in Maryland 12-months prior to the start of the semester noted on the application for admission.
- Maryland In-State Residency Form must be properly completed thoroughly.
Submit supporting documentation with the Maryland In-State Residency form.
- Example of supporting documentation are as follows: Maryland License or ID; Maryland High School ID; Ward of State documentation; Maryland Tax Forms; Proof of Voter Registration, etc.
- Utility Bills or Bank Statements will not be accepted.
Annual deadlines for the Maryland In-State Residency Forms
- August 1st - Fall enrollees
- January 5th - Spring enrollees
Any first semester Maryland enrollees denied Maryland residency may appeal the decision through the Office of Admissions. Maryland Residency Petition packet (pdf)
- Deadline for first semester Maryland enrollee appeals is November 1st.
- All returning Maryland enrollees seeking an appeal must submit a petition to the Office of Records and Registration.
- Deadline for returning Maryland enrollee appeals in last day of registration.
- Only one petition may be submitted per semester.
- Maryland In-State Residency Form (pdf)
- Maryland Residency Petition packet (pdf)
- The University System Of Maryland (USM) Policy on Residency. [New USM Policy on Residency]
- Frequently Asked Questions regarding the University System of Maryland's residency policy. [Residency Policy FAQs]
- USM Nonresident Tuition Fee Differential Exemption