International Student Admissions | Coppin State University

International Student Admissions

Admission for International Students

Coppin State University students represent many international countries.  We appreciate your interest in joining our community of exceptional students and world-class faculty. If you meet any of the following criteria, you will be classified as an ‘international student’:

  • Students who are not a U.S. Citizen and have been educated outside the United States;
  • Students who are currently in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa;
  • Students who are currently living outside the U.S. and will require an F-1 visa to study in the United States;
  • Students who are currently in the U.S. on any other class visa.

Note: Students who hold permanent resident or parole visa status must list their alien registration number in the space indicated on the undergraduate application. They may qualify to be processed for tuition purposes as state residents if they submit the appropriate residency paperwork and have documented established legal domicile in Maryland for one year prior to the semester start date. Presentation of an applicant's alien registration card for verification may be requested. Any foreign academic records submitted for evaluation must be translated into English and notarized. For more information about residency requirements, visit

Application Process

Applicants can begin the application process at Application deadlines are firm and must be received with all supporting documents as outlined:

Fall Semester – May 15th

Spring Semester – October 15th

Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply six (6) months prior to the semester of desired semester of enrollment. The required original documentation must be in the applicant’s file by the above stated deadline. If a deadline is missed, the applicant may apply for another term by notifying the Office of Admissions in writing by emailing

Standardized Exam results are required for students applying as a freshman directly from high school or have completed less than 25 United States semester-hour credits. Official required standardized tests are:

  • SAT – Scholastic Assessment Test or
  • ACT – American College Testing

The results will be reported to Coppin State University if indicated on the SAT application (Code 5122) or the ACT application (Code 1688).

International applicants from countries whose native language is not English are required to submit proof of English proficiency. Students who require English proficiency have several options. Applicants must make their own arrangements for taking the test. The most common assessment and required scores are as follows:

TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language (

  • Minimum required score: 500
  • Minimum computer based: 173
  • Minimum internet based: 61

IELTS – International English Language Testing System (

  • Minimum required score: 6

English proficiency exams must be taken early enough to allow the university time to receive the official test score before the start of the semester.

Official notarized transcripts are required from all completed secondary and post-secondary schools you have attended. If you only completed high school, you will submit that record that shows coursework, grades, and attendance dates. If you attended a college or a university, you will also need to request official notarized transcript(s) from these schools as well.

All transcripts obtained from schools outside the U.S. must be evaluated for course-by-course translation.

Evaluation of Your Academic Credentials

All college transcripts obtained from institutions outside the U. S. must be a course-by-course evaluation. All high school transcripts must be a document-by-document evaluation.

Evaluations must be completed by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) Although Coppin State University will accept evaluations from any NACES-approved agency, the university recommends the following options:

Requirements After you have been Admitted to Coppin State University Pending Your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20)

If admission is granted to the University, before issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) proceeds, students must submit the following:

Affidavit of Financial Support Form

This form (I-134) can be downloaded from the United States Citizenship and Immigrations Services website. The admitted applicant is required to provide to the campus official financial bank statements verifying that more than $27,000 (room, board, mandatory fees and tuition) is available annually. Bank statements should be no more than 2 months old from the date it is submitted. Admitted international students should be prepared to pay all of their expenses for a minimum of one year prior to receiving an I-20. The University does not provide financial assistance for international students.

Immigration Transfer

Applicants who have been accepted for admission will receive the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20). It is also used for transferring from one institution in the United States to another. If the student has attended another U.S. institution, copy of all I-20s from previously attended schools must accompany a completed Immigration Transfer Recommendation Form from the last attended institution. All immigration documents issued by the U.S. Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USCIS) must be presented.

Additional Immigration Information

Once the international admissions process is complete, an acceptance packet is mailed that includes your acceptance letter, the I-20 Form (for F Visa) and other enrollment related information. After receiving the I-20 Form, you will need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee at Be sure to print and keep a receipt. You must obtain your student visa from the U.S. embassy/consulate ( The websites have directions for the visa application process, including how to make an appointment for the visa interview.

At the earliest opportunity, each admitted international student should notify the Office of Admissions of his/her new local or mailing address. Upon arrival to the campus, students must present their F-1 Visa to the Office of Admissions. All international students are required enroll as full-time degree candidates (minimum 12 credit hours per semester). In order to proceed with enrollment, students must report to the Office of International Programs periodically during each semester for status updates and verification of class attendance.

Immigration regulations prohibit persons on student visas from accepting paid employment during their first year in the United States and grant only limited relief for "unforeseen changes in financial circumstances."


U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement -

SEVIS Fee Payment –

SEVIS Student Process Steps –

U.S. Department of Homeland Security -

Coppin State University’s Office of International Programs -