Bachelor of Arts in Urban Arts
The Urban Arts major prepares students to contribute to the planning and redevelopment of urban areas by creating and participating in organizations that produce, exhibit, perform, and disseminate programs in the visual and performing arts and in organizations that can employ the arts to enrich the cognitive, affective, and behavioral experiences of those who live and/or work in urban environments.
The interdisciplinary focus of the program includes courses in the visual and performing arts and in the methods of presenting public programs in the arts, as well as courses in communication, economics, and urban sociology.
Graduates of Coppin's Urban Arts major are fully cognizant of the physical, economic, social, and artistic infrastructures that undergird urban cultures. These graduates are prepared to work with the people who live in urban environments to enrich their lives and the lives of their communities through the arts.
The Bachelor of Arts Program in Urban Arts offers students a selection from among three concentrations: Arts Administration, Theater, and Visual Arts. Each concentration of Urban Arts facilitates Student Learning Outcomes in four areas, as follows:
- Research, organize and develop artistic ideas and work
- Refine and complete artistic work relative to location and audience
- Analyze, interpret and select artistic work for presentation and community engagement
- Develop and refine artistic presentation to convey meaning relevant to urban issues
- Perceive, analyze and interpret the intent and meaning of artistic work
- Identify and utilize the cultural resources available in the urban setting
- Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences to the creative process
- Relate artistic ideas and works with societal, cultural and historical context to deepen understanding
- Communicate and engage in groups, as a manager and team member *
- Relate artistic ideas and works using the language and culture of the business world *
* Denotes Student Learning Outcomes specific to the concentration in Arts Administration
The Bachelor of Arts in Urban Arts program requires six core courses. The remaining courses required for the degree will vary according to concentration.
* Denotes capstone course for all Urban Arts Majors