Employment and Income Verification
The Work Number
Do you need your employment and/or income verified? Now you have secure access to your proof of employment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Work Number, a division of Equifax, Inc., will provide access whenever you need it. The Work Number uses state of the art technology to ensure your information is completely safe and secure.
In addition to providing automated access to verifiers, employees are able to obtain their own Employee Data Report, which will enable you to verify your information and view a list of verifiers who have obtained your data.
This service is free to employees and you can find more information, including how to request your Employee Data Report, salary key, etc. by visiting the website https://employees.theworknumber.com.
How it works
When you apply for credit or other services and proof of employment and/or income is required, you provide written consent to the organization, or "verifier", to verify the information you provided to them. Verifiers will be carefully screened and credentialed before gaining access to The Work Number. Verifiers must provide a valid reason or permissible purpose for requesting the information, as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
In addition to providing your written consent, you will need to provide the verifier with the following information.
- The Work Number Access Methods - www.theworknumber.com or 1-800-367-5690
- The Coppin State University Employer Code: 18270
- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- You may be requested to provide a Salary Key to verify income
- Visit https://employees.theworknumber.com or call 1-800-367-2884
- Enter the Coppin State University Employer Code (18270)
- Enter your Employee ID
- Enter your PIN # (last 6 digits of SSN)
- First-time users will be asked to provide additional personal contact information to obtain a One-Time Passcode (OTP) to verify your identity
- Follow the instructions to create a salary key
Features and Benefits
- Accessible - Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- Fast - Verifiers have the information within minutes
- Easy to Use - Fully automated
- Secure - The Work Number is part of Equifax and uses stringent physical and electronic security standards and protocols to ensure your data is secure
- Trackable - A record of all requests is maintained so you know who views your information
- Self-Service - You can access the system at any time to request your Annual Employment Data Report
The Work Number is the leading provider of employment and income verifications, used by lenders, property managers, pre-employment screeners, social service agencies and others who need to verify someone's employment status and income.
Your User ID is your 7-digit Employee ID.
Your initial PIN is the last 6 digits of your SSN.
Coppin State University's Employer Code is 18270
As part of enhanced security measures, The Work Number requires a One-Time Passcode (OTP) to verify your identity. You must provide a personal contact method to obtain the OTP and complete the login process.
Call Human Resources at 410-951-3666 to be connected to a Work Number web manager.
An organization, such as a bank, lender or property manager, that needs to verify your employment or income. Verifiers are carefully screened and credentialed by The Work Number before obtaining access to the system.
Depending on the purpose of the request, the verifier can obtain your Coppin employment history including title and employment dates, current income, or income history. If you authorize an income verification, only total earnings are provided, no details about additions or deductions are provided.
A salary key is a one-time electronic signature you provide to a verifier as authorization to release salary information.
Social services verifications are provided to government agencies for programs such as Medicaid, Child Support, Food Stamps, TANF, Public Housing and Social Security.
Coppin will send data files to The Work Number after each Regular and Contractual payroll is confirmed.