Faculty Instructional Technology Start-of-the-Semester ChecklistPublished Saturday, August 26th, 2017
Faculty: take a few moments to review this checklist. In it are some common tasks to get your semester off to a great start.
Welcome to a new academic year! Here are a few items to get your semester off to a fantastic start. Click on the links for instructions or additional details.
For further assistance, contact the Instructional Technology and Training Department at 410-951-2643 or email@example.com.
- Blackboard courses will automatically open for all faculty on Monday, August 28, 2017. Faculty are no longer required to open Blackboard courses.
- Watch the Blackboard Template Orientation video to understand what’s available in the template and to obtain strategies for using the content areas.
- Read the Blackboard Design Standards for a Positive Student Experience guide, and adhere to the requirements in tier one, including uploading the:
- faculty information (telephone number, email address, office hours, etc.);
- course content, such as policies, calendar, learning objectives, learning materials (e.g., articles, slide decks, resources) welcome statement; and
- assignments, online tests/quizzes, and discussion boards (be sure to align your assessments to the university’s student learning outcomes!)
- If necessary, copy course materials from previous semesters into the current semester’s Blackboard course. Remember…
- DO NOT copy enrollments from previous semester (this will bring over the students from the previous semester).
- COPY the Blackboard Grade Center if you have graded assignments that must be copied content.
- Be patient! At the beginning of the semester when everybody is copying content at the same time, there may be a short delay. Only select course copy once. If you course copy more than once, then your content will copy multiple times.
- After the copying process is complete, check course links to ensure they are operational and manage any assignment due dates.
- Set-up your attendance roster. Take attendance for each class session.
- Post your first announcement with initial class instructions and a warm welcome.
- Create an orientation video about how to navigate the Blackboard course.
- If necessary, move lectures from previous semesters to the current semester.
- Remember to record each class session! (Tip: deputize a student to remind you to launch Tegrity at the start of the class.)
- Download or print official class rosters.
- Test your classrooms.
- After each class session, LOG OFF from the computer.
- After using the screen, projector, or document camera, completely EXIT the system from the touch panel.