Graduate Studies Financial Assistance | Coppin State University

Graduate Studies Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance

Students applying to the Coppin State University School of Graduate Studies are making an investment in their future. The investment you make in your education today will be a major contribution to your quality of life and economic prosperity in the future. When making any investment there is a need for financial resources. There’s a wealth of resources available to finance your education. This website will convey the resources available at Coppin State, as well as other sources. We admonish you to continue your search and exhaust all possibilities, because once again this is your future.

Financial Aid Application Procedure for Graduate Students

Note: When applying for aid, Graduate students should investigate what resources are available through the Office of Financial Aid, their individual department, and sources outside of Coppin State University. These sources are where you can learn more about scholarships, internships, assistantships, fellowships, and grants that are available to you.

  • The student must complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

The student’s financial need can be determined after the FAFSA has been processed and received by the financial aid office. The student’s Expected Family Contribution is based upon the evaluation of the processed FAFSA. The Student’s need is determined by subtracting the Expected Family Contribution and Outside Resources from the Cost of Attendance. Aid is awarded on a first come, first serve basis; therefore you should submit the FAFSA application after January 1 but prior to March 1. Keep in mind that you must complete a renewal form or new application for each academic year.

  • International Students should submit a copy of their Permanent Residency Card. (Note that U.S. Government & Maryland State financial aid are reserved for U.S. Citizens and International Students with permanent visas).
  • Students must be meeting satisfactory academic progress to receive financial aid. Returning or re-admitted students not meeting satisfactory academic progress must submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Letter of Appeal to the Financial Aid Office. Approval of the appeal signifies that the student regains financial aid eligibility for that year. Satisfactory academic progress is checked at the end of each spring semester.

Available Aid

Federal Work-Study:

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) provides jobs to graduate students who have demonstrated financial need. These jobs are assigned as part of the financial package.


Loans include the Federal Perkins Loan (formally National Direct Student Loan) which is a long-term low interest loan available in amounts up to $1,500 per year. The Federal Direct Loan Program includes both Federal Subsidized and the Federal Unsubsidized Loans which can provide up to $20,500 per year for graduate students. Further information about the Federal Direct Loans can be obtained from the Coppin Financial Aid Office.

Student Emergency Loan Fund (SELF):

The SELF is intended to assist students attending Coppin with emergency financial assistance in time of need. The loan is specifically earmarked to cover such emergencies as rent evictions, gas and electric turn off notices, carfare, childcare, and food. The student must be due a financial aid refund.

Bookstore Charge Authorization:

The bookstore charge authorization allows financial aid recipients to charge books and supplies at the university bookstore. This service is available only to students due refund monies after their semester charges have been applied. Graduate students are limited to a $500.00 charge per semester.

Other Resources

Other important resources are outside scholarships, grants and loans. Students should take advantage of internet search engines, books, and organizations that make information about available scholarships, grants, and loans. Remember to include in your search for aid organizations that you are active in or associated with such as professional organizations, social organizations, honor societies, etc.