Government Relations FAQs | Coppin State University

Government Relations FAQs

Government Relations FAQs

  1. When is the General Assembly's legislative session?

    The General Assembly begins on the second Wednesday in January of each year and runs through mid-April. The session lasts for 90 consecutive calendar days. The final day of session is called "Sine Die."

  2. What is The President's role during the legislative session?

    The President travels to Annapolis regularly during the legislative session to meet with state legislators to fully represent Coppin State University and its needs, priorities and accomplishments. The president delivers testimony on key issues affecting the University, including the University's budget request. She works with the USM Board of Regents, the chancellor, other USM presidents, the Governor's Office and the Maryland Higher Education Commission on Maryland's higher education issues. Please visit The President's Testimony page for archived testimony and further information.

  3. When does The President talk to legislators?

    The President talks to legislators throughout the year through on-campus visits, telephone, and Annapolis visits to educate members about the University. She also hosts legislator visits on campus.

  4. Who represents CSU to the General Assembly?

    The President is the University's official representative to the General Assembly. The Associate Vice President for Public Policy and Government Relations serves as the University's liaison to state legislators in Annapolis and the University's federal representatives.

  5. Who are the elected state officials that represent CSU?

    Each state legislative district has four representatives, one senator and three delegates. The University is located in state legislative District 40. District 40 representatives are:

    Senator Antonio Hayes
    Delegate Frank M. Conaway, Jr.
    Delegate Nick Mosby
    Delegate Melissa Wells
  6. Where do I go if I want to participate in the legislative process?

    Among the many ways that you can participate in the legislative process are contacting your home legislator or attending public hearings. Contact your legislators to discuss important issues. You will find contract information for your State legislator on the Maryland State Archives web site.

  7. How can I research pending legislation?

    For information on pending legislation, please visit the Maryland General Assembly Web site at If you have the legislation's bill number, you can simply type the bill number into the search engine to find bill information, description, sponsor and status.

    You may also find legislative highlights for the current session on CSU's Public Policy and Government Relations website.