Open Enrollment for Employee Health Benefits
State of Maryland Benefits Open Enrollment
Tuesday, October 15 - Thursday, November 14, 2019
Open Enrollment is an annual opportunity for benefit-eligible employees to change their benefit plan, update coverage, and/or enroll in a health care or dependent care flexible spending account (FSA). All changes and corresponding payroll deductions will begin on January 1, 2020.
New this year, benefit elections will be managed online using SPS Workday. Via Workday, employees will be able to:
- Enroll for the first time, change plans, or change coverage levels.
- Participate in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA). The IRS requires all flexible spending account participants to re-enroll in these plans every year.
Employees who do not want to change their benefit elections or contribute to a health care/dependent care flexible spending account (FSA), do not need to take any action. Current benefit coverage, except FSAs, will automatically rollover into the new plan year.
Tips for Enrolling and Making Changes
Workday Username: Enter your W#.
- Your W# is provided on the instruction sheet enclosed in the Open Enrollment packet. It is also displayed on your time entry record, on the Personal Information Summary under Employee Information, and on your Payroll Online Service Center (POSC) profile under the "View SPS Employee ID" tab.
Workday Password: Enter your password.
- If you are a first-time user or have not accessed Workday in the last 90 days, your temporary password is the:
- First letter of your First Name in upper case (example: Fanny)
- First letter of your Last Name in lower case (example: coppin)
- Your 4-digit birth year (example: 10/15/1837)
- Last 4-digits of your SS# (example: xxx-xx-1234)
- Dollar sign symbol: $
- Example Password: Fc18371234$
- Next, you will be prompted to enter a new 8-character password containing at least one upper & lower case letter, number and symbol.
- View the Workday Access Quick Reference Guide for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org for technical assistance.
Be sure to review your benefits summary statement in SPS Workday for accuracy. It is your responsibility to correct any errors.
If enrolling new dependents, you must upload the required supporting documentation. If the applicable documentation is not uploaded by 11/14/2019, the dependent will be removed.
Get a head start on understanding the new SPS Workday online enrollment process!
Date Time (Drop-in) Location Thursday, October 3, 2019 11 am - Noon STC 347 Thursday, October 7, 2019 1 pm - 2 pm STC 347 Thursday, October 10, 2019 1 pm - 2 pm STC 347 Monday, October 14, 2019 11 am - 2 pm STC 347 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11 am - 2 pm STC 347
Schedule an appointment for personalized enrollment guidance from a member of the HR Benefits Team by contacting Toni Harris at email@example.com. For help with online enrollment, bring your W#, election decisions and any supporting documentation to the appointment.
Date Time (By Appointment) Location Thursday, October 17, 2019 10 am - 2 pm PEC 348 Thursday, October 24, 2019 10 am - 2 pm PEC 348 Thursday, October 31, 2019 10 am - 2 pm PEC 348 Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:30 pm - 4 pm PEC 348 Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10 am - 2 pm PEC 348
Your health plan vendors are a great first point of contact for questions related to coverage. Please refer to the Benefits Guide (page 2) for specific contact and website information. Representatives will be present at the Benefits Fair on Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 1:30 - 3:30, Talon Center Atrium. Download the flyer for more information.
Contact TeamHR: firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 951-3674. Due to a significant increase in volume during Open Enrollment, please allow 1-2 business days for response; email and appointments are encouraged and appreciated!