Shakin' The Mess Outta Misery (Sold Out)
Coppin Repertory Theatre Presents Shakin' The Mess Outta Misery
Written by Shay Youngblood
Directed by Rashida Forman-Bey
Adapted from the Shay Youngblood's book, THE BIG MAMA STORIES, SHAKIN' THE MESS OUTTA MISERY is the inspirational, semi-autobiographical story of a young black girl's coming of age in the 1960s South. "Daughter," the main character and 25-year-old narrator, lost her mother when she was very young and a community of women raised her, some blood related, some not. As she remembers how her 'Big Mamas' prepared her for womanhood, the women enter to tell their stories and "Daughter" becomes a child again, reliving her vivid memories of growing up--recalling the rituals, the faith healings, and the stories she was told and the lessons she learned about survival, healing, sisterhood, family, and faith. Youngblood's play confirms the African proverb—"It takes a village to raise a child."
- Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:30 a.m. & 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 28, 2023 at 10:30 a.m. & 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
- Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 4, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 5, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 3:00 p.m. (SOLD OUT)
The Theatre Lab
Grace Jacobs Building (on the lower level)
Coppin State University
2500 West North Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21216
To order tickets online, go to https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2new/team.asp?sponsorid=16416
- General Admission $20.00
- Senior Citizens $15.00
- Non-Coppin Students $10.00
- Coppin Students free with CSU ID
For information, contact Dr. Garey A. Hyatt at email@example.com or (410) 951-3369.