Disability Support Services Mission, Vision & Guidelines
The mission of the DSSP is to create an accessible university community where students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to fully participate in all aspects of the educational environment: to promote students' independence and to ensure that students are viewed on the basis of "ability" and not disability.
Our mission is accomplished by:
- Functioning as a resource to faculty, staff, and students on disability issues.
- Providing and promoting the use of support services that address the specific needs of individuals while continually improving the quality and effectiveness of services.
- Advocating for the upgrading and maintenance of the accessibility of all facilities.
- Promoting access to technology resources.
- Providing students with disabilities the same academic opportunities as peers without disabilities in all areas of studies.
- Advocating that disability-related accommodations be made on an individualized and flexible basis in order to ensure full participation in programs offered at the university.
- Empowering students to become actively involved in all aspects of campus life.
- Advocating for, and educating others about the needs and concerns of persons with disabilities.
- Providing equal access to career-related programs such as internships and on-campus recruiting to assist in career exploration and future employment.
- To promote a greater understanding of disability culture and accessibility issues.
- To promote, at the university level, a greater understanding of the educational needs of persons with disabilities and to advocate for improving access to educational attainment.
Handbook & Guidelines for Specific Disabilities:
- Legal Mandates
- CSU-DSSP Mission
- University's Rights and Responsibilities
- Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
- Students' Rights and Responsibilities
- Students with Disabilities Entering CSU
- Faculty Referral to DSSP
- Specific Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Hearing Impairments
- Visual Impairments
- Mobility Impairments
- Psychiatric Disabilities
- Developmental Disabilities
- Temporary Disabilities