Community Arts Dance Program
The mission of the program is to provide excellence in dance training and performance.
The community outreach program is designed for new and experienced dancers interested in exploring and honing their technique and performance skills. The program is open to children and adults. The program is housed in the Coppin State University School of Arts and Science, and Education, Dance Program.
The purpose of the program is to provide quality dance education classes and workshops taught by professional artists and dance major interns. Overall, the aim of the Coppin State University Community Dance Program is to develop young artist who articulate and demonstrate academic and artistic competency achieved by working with highly trained professional artists and educators, and participating conferences, performance and other forms of learning outside of the classroom.
Open Registration and Office Hours
The Community Dance program is located in the Coppin State University Dance Program located on the second floor of the Physical Education Complex.
Office: PEC 214
Wednesday 6-8:00 pm
Friday 6:00-8:00 pm
Saturday 10-3:00 pm
Note: Continuous registration is accepted until classes are full. Feel free to email email@example.com or call (410) 951-3379 regarding open classes after the initial registration date.
Mail in your registration form with a $50 deposit and the early bird special discount. Make checks and money order payable to Coppin State University. Please include the child's name in the subject section of the check or money order. Send info: Coppin State University Dance Program, 2500 W. North Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21216 no later than August 15 to receive the early bird discount.
Physical Education Complex (PEC) Dance Studio
Classes and registration is held on the 2nd floor of the Physical Education Complex (PEC). Students should enter the PEC building off of Warwick Avenue closest to the campus dorms.
The dance faculty use the performing arts as a medium of self-expression and as way to encourage successful healthy life styles, mobility and creativity through a comprehensive teaching and learning strategy for all ages.
Classes are open for children ages 3+ with some classes appropriate for adults depending on the level of the class.
- Modern Dance
- Musical Theater and Jazz
- Tap Dance
- Hip Hop
- Youth Dance Performance Team (audition or invitation)
The teacher-student ratio is normally 10-1.
Auditions are scheduled on August 18 and August 29 at 7:00 p.m. in the PECD Dance Studio. Students should arrive at least 15 minutes earlier to complete the audition application. All students should come prepared in either dance or fitness attire, and dance shoes. Additional scholarships are provided throughout the year based on the student's commitment, level of advancement and available funds.
The School frequently sends information by email about upcoming events at the school. Be sure to list your email address clearly on your registration form so that we can keep you informed and updated during the year.
Contact the dance office if you have not received a "welcome to the program"'" email confirming your address.
General Policies and Procedures
Our goal is to keep your child focused so that they can maximize their class experience.
Dance Program Etiquette and Policies:
- Arriving late, leaving prior to the end of the event or walking in and out of the performance space is inappropriate behavior.
- It is also inappropriate to "call out names" during the event or any other noise that is distracting for the students and other audience members.
- Cell phone must be silenced and pictures/videos or recording devices are not allowed at any time.
- Turn off cell phones, and refrain from talking during the classes, performances and rehearsals.
- Please do not bring visitors to the program during regular class periods and rehearsals.
- Parents may request to view the class with permission of the instructor and director of the program.
- There is no reimbursement for classes canceled due to inclement weather, nor refunds except in the case of extreme documented emergencies.
- CSU Dance holds the right to cancel classes not meeting minimum enrollment.
- Late registrations are accepted depending on available space.
- Refrain from disrupting the class by observing class through glass doorways or windows.
Feel free to contact the Dance Office at any time to discuss your child's advancement. Please leave a message and someone will contact you within 48 hours during the week. This does not apply to weekend days and times.
Parents are welcomed to join the youth dance community parent's association.
Coppin State University
Attn: Dance Program
2500 W. North Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21216
- Parents are welcome to schedule a conference with their child's teacher or the director of the school at any time.
- Please email the school administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- We ask that you do not confront the instructors before or after classes with questions, but instead email the dance office.