The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated is currently composed of nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities. The NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.
The National Pan-Hellenic Council was organized on May 10, 1930 at Howard University, in Washington, DC. Charter members include Kappa Alpha Psi and Omega Psi Phi Fraternities, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta fraternity completed the list of members in 1997.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was "Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organization." Early 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as "The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated."
In 1990, with a unanimous vote by the council of presidents, which is comprised of all nine organization's presidents, Pledging and Hazing were outlawed. A new intake process was composed by each organization that condemned any form of hazing.
The purpose of the NPHC shall be to foster cooperative actions of its members in the dealing with matters of mutual concern. To this end, the NPHC promotes the well-being of its affiliate fraternities and sororities, facilitates the establishment and development of local councils of the NPHC and provides leadership training for its constituents. The official colors of the NPHC are Black and White.