F1 Regulations

Hours and Location
Mon-Fri8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Miles Connor
3rd Floor
F1 Regulations
International Student Services

It is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with the immigration requirements related to their status. Following the guidelines below will help you to avoid many unnecessary problems.

Basic Guidelines

  • Keep your passport valid for at least 6 months
    Contact your home country's embassy in the U.S. for information about renewing your passport validity.
  • Keep your local address updated.
    Keep your local residential address current.
  • Maintain full-time enrollment.
    You must be full-time each semester. For immigration purposes, you must complete a minimum of 12 units per semester.
  • Get approval before a withdrawal from Coppin.
    If for some reason you must withdraw from your program or drop below full-time, you are required to have approval from the International Office before doing so.
  • Attend the school noted on your I-20.
    You must have a current, valid I-20 from the school you are attending. If you transfer from another school to Coppin, the transfer process must be completed at the Check-in Meetings before the semester begins. If you miss the Check-in meeting, see an advisor in the International Office immediately.
  • Keep your I-20 valid at all times.
    Submit an application for Extension of Program if the completion date on your I-20 will expire within the next 30 days and you need more time to complete your program of study. The completion date can be found in Box #5 on the I-20 form. You must also request a new I-20 if you change your major or your degree level, e.g. Ph.D. to Master's.
  • Get a travel endorsement
    Before your departure from the U.S., request a signature for re-entry from an International Office Advisor. The Advisor will sign page 3 of the I-20 for this purpose. The signature is valid for one year.
  • Get proper employment permission:
    • On-campus employment -- Limit employment to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Employment on-campus may be full-time in the summer and vacation periods. No special work permit is required.
    • Off-campus employment -- Do not work off-campus without permission. Work permission for F-1 students must be approved through the International Office and the USCIS.