Non-traditional Admission

Non-Traditional Admission

Early Admissions Program

Coppin State University conditionally admits a limited percentage of students at the completion of the junior year in high school. Interested juniors must request an Application for Early Admission from the Admissions Office. Although such applicants follow the normal freshman application process, they must also submit a letter of recommendation from the high school counselor or principal and permission a form from the parent(s).

Mature Adults

For admissions purposes, a mature adult may be defined as one who is older than the traditional undergraduate, and who meets one or more of the following criteria: (1) the applicant is financially independent; (2) the applicant's primary responsibility is to duties other than being a student; (3) the applicant has not been regularly enrolled in an educational institution for three years or more. Students with a high school diploma or equivalency and at least three years break in education are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores. Students are, however, required to submit a formal application and official transcripts of all academic work completed. An interview with a member of the Admissions Staff is encouraged, and students must meet placement testing requirements (see Testing and Placement).


For admissions purposes, a veteran may be defined as a current or former member of any branch of the U.S. Armed Services with twelve months (one year) or more of active duty served, and with no intervening college or university attendance since discharge from the service. In addition to the application form and academic credentials, veterans must also provide the Admissions Office and the Office of Veterans Affairs with a copy of the DD form 214 verifying military service.

Advanced Placement and Credit for Entering Students

Freshmen who have had the opportunity for advanced-level work and would like academic credit as well as advanced placement are encouraged to take the Advanced Placement Tests of the College Entrance Examination Board in May of their senior year of secondary school. Arrangements to take the tests are made through the high school counselor or the College Entrance Examination Board, P.O. Box 592, Princeton, New Jersey 08540. The results of these tests are received by the University in mid July.

Information concerning standards for determining advanced placement credit is available in the Office of Admissions.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Coppin accepts credits for qualifying scores on the General Examination and Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). For the University's credit by examination policy contact the Academic Affairs Office.