The mission of the International Student Services Program is to provide international students with the resources necessary to successfully navigate through both Coppin State University and the United States. The program seeks to accomplish these goals through maintaining relationships with federal agencies, providing a support toward attainment of educational goals, assisting with obtaining employment, fostering healthy transitions from their country of origin, and assisting with acculturation and adjustment needs.
Program Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: SERVE AS AN INTERFACE BETWEEN COPPIN STATE UNIVERSITY AND APPROPRIATE FEDERAL IMMIGRATION AGENCIES.
- Objective 1.1: Abide by and stay informed of the latest changes from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Objective 1.2: Maintain records and stay abreast of latest changes to Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), a recording agent of the International Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).
- Objective 1.3: Maintain appropriate relationships and open communication with Designated School Officials (DSOs) serving in different offices at Coppin State University.
Goal 2: ASSIST INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN ACHIEVING EDUCATIONAL GOALS IN AN EFFORT TO INCREASE UNIVERSITY-WIDE STUDENT RETENTION.
- Objective 2.1: Ensure students maintain proper status in SEVIS.
- Objective 2.2: Inform students of government required immigration rules and regulations.
- Objective 2.2: Provide appropriate referrals to academic units on campus (i.e. Academic Advisement Center and the Academic Resource Center)
- Objective 2.3: Provide academic counseling and support to international students as they define and explore their educational goals.
Goal 3: ENSURE PROPER PROCEDURES IN STUDENT ATTAINMENT OF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES.
- Objective 3.1: Ensure proper procedures in obtaining curricular practical training.
- Objective 3.2: Ensure proper procedures in obtaining optional practical training.
- Objective 3.3: Ensure proper procedures in obtaining on-campus employment.
- Objective 3.4: Ensure proper procedures in obtaining off-campus employment.
Goal 4: FOSTER HEALTHY TRANSITIONS TO THE UNITED STATES AND THE COPPIN STATE COMMUNITY FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS.
- Objective 4.1: Maintain and update international student manual
- Objective 4.3: Work collaboratively with the international student association.
- Objective 4.4: Provide appropriate outreach programming for international students.
- Objective 4.5: Maintain and update informative and user-friendly website.
- Objective 4.6: Maintain collaborative relationship with NAFSA: Associate of International Educators.
Goal 5: ASSIST IN THE ACCULTURATION AND ADJUSTMENT NEEDS OF STUDENTS FROM A DEVELOPMENTAL, SOCIAL, AND EDUCATIONAL PERSPECTIVE.
- Objective 5.1: Plan, organize and implement orientation for international students.
- Objective 5.2: Make appropriate referrals for counseling and student development when needed.
- Objective 5.3: Participate in a dialogue with international students regarding adjustment and acculturation issues.