Student Support Services
Student Support Services is one of seven TRIO programs, a group of federally funded programs in existence since the 1960's. TRIO programs help students to overcome class, social, academic, and cultural barriers to higher education.
Student Support Services is a federally funded TRIO program which provides services that are designed to:
- Increase college retention and graduation rates for first generation, low-income, and disabled students.
- Foster an institution climate supportive of the success of low income and first generation students and individuals with disabilities.
Student Support Services (SSS) program serves eligible and enrolled students who want to make the most of their education while attending Coppin State University. Our staff is aware of the many obstacles that can hinder performance in college. The SSS program provides guidance, encouragement, and variety of academic and support services. SSS staff works one-on-one and with small groups to guide students in the successful completion of their course of study while monitoring student academic progress and providing assistance needed for success.
The mission of the TRIO Student Support Services Program (SSS) is to promote the attainment of knowledge and skills that enhance the retention and graduation of first generation, low-income, and disabled students. Student Support Services provides programming and services designed to facilitate the cognitive and social development of students served, and to assist those students in the attainment of their educational goals through on-going collaborative relationships within the university.
To accomplish this mission, Student Support Services:
- provides academic advising and counseling services to assist students to achieve their educational goals
- facilitates the cognitive and social development of students served through a variety of programming initiatives that include a summer bridge program, informational workshops, tutorial services, study groups, and cultural/educational events
- provides a home-base environment that is open and receptive to the diverse needs of students served
- serves as a bridge between students and campus departments using collaborative relationships within the institution to promote student completion of a post-secondary degree