Admission for International Students

General Information

An international student applying for admission should make application no later than May 15th for the Fall semester or October 15th for the Spring semester. International applicants from countries whose native language is not English are required to earn a score of at least 500 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and at least 173 on the computerized Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicants must make their own arrangements for taking the test. Inquiries should be made to TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, Box 899, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, USA. The completed TOEFL application form and the TOEFL application fee must be sent to the Educational Testing Service early enough for the Coppin Director of Admissions to receive the official test score before the start of the semester for which admission is sought. Coppin State University's ETS Code is 5122. The complete admission file must include the following:

  1. official or notarized secondary school academic records, showing grades received, annual mark sheets, examination certificates, and leaving certificate, as they apply to the educational system in the student's home country. Records must be received for each of the last four years of secondary school.
  2. official or notarized record (transcripts) of all colleges, universities, post-secondary, or professional schools attended.
  3. a notarized English translation of all documents. Translations must be as literal as possible with no attempt to translate information into the United States system of education. To evaluate post-secondary course work, it is necessary for the University to use a professional evaluation service at the applicant's expense (estimated costs are $80-$100). Coppin State University accepts translation evaluations from the following:
  4. an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) result. All international students who do not speak English as their native language will be required to take the TOEFL examination. A minimum score of 500 is required. TOEFL examination dates (six times a year worldwide) and information may be obtained through the American Embassy, Consulate or U.S.I.A. office or by writing Educational Testing Service, Box 899 Princeton, New Jersey 08541, U.S.A. Coppin State is indicated on the TOEFL application (Code 5122);
  5. an official Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing (ACT) result. All students who have not completed one full year of postsecondary school course work (25 United States semester-hour credits) must submit SAT results. The results will be reported to Coppin State University if Coppin State is indicated on the SAT application (Code 5122);
  6. Affidavit of Support Form. This form can be downloaded from the United States Citizenship and Immigrations Services website. The applicant is required to provide to the campus official financial bank statements verifying that $23,000 is available annually. Bank statements should be no more than 2 months old from the date it is submitted.

Immigration Information

Every international student admitted to the University will receive from the Director of Admissions the appropriate immigration form needed to secure a student visa from the American Consulate. At the earliest possible time, each admitted foreign student should notify the Director of Admissions of his/her new local or mailing address and may only attend as a full-time degree student.

Admitted international students should be prepared to pay all of their expenses for a minimum of one year prior to receiving an I-20. The University does not provide financial assistance for international students.

Applicants who have been accepted for admission will receive the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20). This document is used to apply for a student (F-1) visa at an American embassy or consulate overseas. It is also used for transferring from one institution in the United States to another. F-1 students will be expected to enroll as full-time degree candidates (minimum 12 semester hour credits).

Immigration regulations forbid persons on student visas from accepting paid employment during their first year in the United States and grant only limited relief for "unforeseen changes in financial circumstances."

Applicants who hold permanent resident or parole visa status must list their alien registration number in the space indicated on the undergraduate application. They are processed for fee purposes as State residents if they have established legal domicile in Maryland for one year. Presentation of an applicant's alien registration card for verification may be requested. Foreign academic records submitted for evaluation must be translated into English and notarized. An application and all documentation must be submitted by October 15th for the Spring semester or May 15th for the Fall semester.