The Coppin State University, Center for Counseling and Student Development (CCSD), located in the J. Millard Tawes Building, is dedicated to providing a wide range of programs and services that foster student growth, development, and emotional well being.
Services are provided directly, via referral, and/or in collaboration with other professionals to ensure that students receive the following:
- Individual counseling to assist with personal concerns and to help develop better coping strategies, resolve conflicts and handle crisis situations
- Group counseling to help establish satisfying personal relationships and to become more effective in areas of interpersonal processes, communication skills, decision making, and establishment of personal values
- Specialized programming and outreach services to address developmental needs and to maximize their potential to benefit from the academic environment and experience
- Crisis intervention and emergency support when experiencing personal trauma
The CCSD strictly protects the confidentiality of information shared during counseling sessions. Additionally, counseling records are property of the CCSD and are separate from university records. However, we are legally and ethically mandated to release information in the following situations:
- If you sign a release allowing your counselor to speak with a specific person about your case
- If you are a danger to yourself or others
- If it is court-ordered by a judge
- If abuse or neglect of a minor, person with a disability or an elderly person is suspected
This confidentiality statement applies to students 18 and over. If you are under the age of 18, discuss with your counselor how this may impact some aspects of confidentiality.