Secondary Education: English
The Department of Humanities offers a BS degree for an English Secondary Education Concentration. The English program of study consists of 42 credits, exclusive of the "Special GER" and the language and philosophy requirements for the BA degree. All majors take a comprehensive examination and produce a writing portfolio for assessment.
NOT ADMITTING NEW STUDENTS. Program deactivated effective September 1, 2014.
- The student wishing to declare a concentration in English Secondary Education must meet the following criteria:
- Completed ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 or ENGL 103 and ENGL 104;
- Completed MATH 125 or MATH 132 (depending on the major);
- Completed a minimum of 30 SCH that count toward graduation;
- Attained a CGPA of 2.5;
- Achieved the minimum MSDE required score on the PRAXIS I examination;
- Completed EDUC 202 (with portfolio);
- Accepted into the Teacher Education Program of the School of Education.
The following information also impacts students interested in entering Teacher Education.
- Students who have met all the above except the passing of Praxis I/Praxis Core can be admitted as a pre-major to Teacher Education.
- Students must take Praxis II prior to student teaching.
- Students must achieve state mandated cut-off scores on Praxis II prior to approval for graduation.
Praxis Core was adopted Sept 1, 2014 as the replacement for Praxis 1 in the state of Maryland. Passing scores in Maryland for Praxis Core are as follows: Mathematics (150), Reading (156), and Writing (162). Feel free to direct any Praxis-related questions to TEAR-C.
A student who has been denied admission to a program may appeal to the Teacher Education Council. If denied admission a third time, the student will be advised into another area.
Electives are in addition to the core courses. The elective requirement is satisfied by any nine credits from among the following subjects: Creative Writing (CRWR), English (ENGL), Journalism (JRNL), Mass Communications (MCOM), Philosophy (PHIL), and World Literature (WLIT). Students in the English Secondary Education concentration must take ENGL 406, Advanced Grammar.
SCED 414 and SCED 415 Directed Teaching in Secondary School/Seminar