Secondary Education: English
The Department of Humanities offers a BS degree for an English Secondary Education Concentration. The English program of study consists of 42 credits, exclusive of the "Special GER" and the language and philosophy requirements for the BA degree. All majors take a comprehensive examination and produce a writing portfolio for assessment.
NOT ADMITTING NEW STUDENTS. Program deactivated effective September 1, 2014.
- The student wishing to declare a concentration in English Secondary Education must meet the following criteria:
- Completed ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 or ENGL 103 and ENGL 104;
- Completed MATH 125 or MATH 132 (depending on the major);
- Completed a minimum of 30 SCH that count toward graduation;
- Attained a CGPA of 2.7;
- Achieved the minimum MSDE required score on the PRAXIS I examination;
- Completed EDUC 202 (with portfolio);
- Accepted into the Teacher Education Program of the School of Education.
Electives are in addition to the core courses. The elective requirement is satisfied by any nine credits from among the following subjects: Creative Writing (CRWR), English (ENGL), Journalism (JRNL), Mass Communications (MCOM), Philosophy (PHIL), and World Literature (WLIT). Students in the English Secondary Education concentration must take ENGL 406, Advanced Grammar.
SCED 414 and SCED 415 Directed Teaching in Secondary School/Seminar