Nursing: RN to BSN
Nursing is a complex field which requires knowledge of nursing and knowledge of the humanities, behavioral and natural sciences. The Coppin State University Helene Fuld School of Nursing prepares students for professional nursing practice, which includes functioning as members of multidisciplinary health teams when providing care to individuals, families, and groups in a variety of health care settings.
Upon completion of the HFSON Program the student will:
- Synthesize knowledge from the humanities, natural, and behavioral sciences as a foundation for safe, client-centered nursing practice.
- Apply leadership concepts, skills and decision making in the provision of high quality nursing care in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrates clinical judgment based on evidence based practice for individual, families and groups.
- Demonstrates proficiency in information management and patient care technology in the delivery of quality health care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of healthcare policy and regulations to assist individuals, families and groups to identify and mobilize resources to meet health care needs.
- Collaborate with consumers, members of the health care team and others to improve the delivery of health care.
- Integrate health promotion and disease prevention strategies for individuals, families and groups to improve health outcomes for individuals, families and groups.
- Demonstrates professional, ethical, and legal responsibility for nursing practice.
- Apply the nursing process to deliver and manage nursing care for culturally diverse individuals, families and groups across the life span in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Use clinical reasoning strategies, communication and other affective skills as well as psychomotor skills to provide therapeutic nursing interventions to culturally diverse individuals, families and groups in varying health states.
- Admission to Coppin State University (CSU) through the Office of Admissions. Apply online
- Competitive Admission Process [FALL only] to the Helene Fuld School of Nursing (HFSON) in the College of Health Professions (CHP) through the Student Affairs and Retention Office (STAR). Application
- EARLY Decision Deadline = December 1st each year
- FINAL Deadline = February 1st each year
- Official Transcripts from each college attended prior to CSU indicating successful completion of Prerequisite and General Education Requirements (GERs) courses submitted to both the CSU Office of Admissions and the STAR Office in the CHP. If you have any foreign education, you must submit an evaluation of your foreign coursework by one of the following: World Education Service or American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation submitted only to the STAR Office in the CHP
- Official scores from the Test of Essential Academic Skills V (TEAS V) entrance examination submitted to the STAR Office in the CHP (used only for diagnostic purposes for RN to BSN students)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 on 4.0 scale for the RN to BSN plan of study
- Active unencumbered RN License in the state of Maryland or a participating state in the Nurse Multi-State Licensure Compact
- Essay – Philosophy of Nursing and Professional Goals
- Current resume
- Interview may be required
Based on RN Licensure and Maryland State Articulation Agreement
|Nursing Care of Children||5|
|Mental Health Nursing||4|
|Advanced Medical-Surgical Nursing||6|
|Maternity and Women's Health||5|
All students must complete 40 credit hours of General Education Requirements. Nursing Majors must fulfill the mathematics GER by completing MATH 203 (Basic Statistics). They must also fulfill the behavioral and social science option by taking PSYC 201 – General Psychology and SOCI 201 – Introduction to Sociology . The Natural Sciences is fulfilled with either BIOL 107- Comp. Review of Life Sciences or BIOL 201 – Human Anatomy & Physiology 1 and CHEM 103 - General Chemistry (Prerequisite MATH 110). The Interdisciplinary and Emerging Issues is fulfilled with either SPCH 105 Introduction to Speech Communication or SPCH 202 – Principles and Practices of Interviewing or SPCH 204 Critical Listening.
Additional General Education Requirements